AKVIS Decorator can work independently as a standalone program or as a plug-in to a photo editor.
- Standalone is an independent program; you can open it by clicking on the program's icon.
To launch the standalone version, run the program directly:
On a Windows computer - select it from the Start menu or use the program's shortcut.
On a Mac computer - launch the app from the Application folder.
- Plugin is an add-on for a photo editor, for example for Photoshop.
To call the plugin, select it from filters of your image editing program.
AKVIS Decorator's workspace looks like this:
Most of AKVIS Decorator's workspace is taken by the Image Window with two tabs Before and After. The Before tab displays the original image, the After tab shows the processed photo. You can switch between the windows by left-clicking on the tab with the mouse button. To compare the original and the resulting images, click on the image and hold the button pressed - the program will then switch between tabs.
The Control Panel has the following controls:
- The button opens the home page of AKVIS Decorator.
- The button (only in the standalone version) opens the image for processing. The hot-keys are Ctrl+O on Windows, ⌘+O on Macintosh.
- The button (only in the standalone version) saves the image to the disk. The hot-keys are Ctrl+S on Windows, ⌘+S on Macintosh.
- The button (only in the standalone) opens the Print dialog to print the result. The hot-keys are Ctrl+P on Windows, ⌘+P on Macintosh.
- The button lets posting pictures from the program to the social networks: Twitter, Flickr, Google+, Dropbox.
- The button cancels the last action. If it is pressed multiple times, it will cancel several previous actions. This can also be activated with the keyboard, by pressing Ctrl+Z on Windows, ⌘+Z on Macintosh.
- The button restores an action cancelled by .
An action can also be restored with the keyboard, by pressing Ctrl+Y on Windows, ⌘+Y on Macintosh.
- The button initiates image processing with the current settings. The hot-keys are Ctrl+R on Windows, ⌘+R on Macintosh.
- The button (only in the plugin version) applies the result to the image and closes the program window of AKVIS Decorator.
- The button calls information about the program and opens the registration window.
- The button calls the Help files. The hot-key is F1.
- The button calls the Preferences dialog box for changing the program's options.
To the left of the Image Window is the Toolbar with selection tools and additional tools.
The tools' parameters are shown in the Settings Panel or in a pop-up box after right-clicking in the image window.
- The button activates the Hand tool which allows you to scroll the image when it does not fit within the Image Window at the desired scale. To use it click on the button, bring the cursor over the image, and while keeping the left mouse button pressed move in the desired direction.
- The button activates the Zoom tool which changes the image's scale. To zoom in left click on the image. To zoom out left click with Alt on the image. Press Z to quickly access the tool.
Navigate and scale the image using the Navigator. In the Navigator you can see the reduced copy of the image. The red frame shows the part of the image that is now visible in the Image Window; the areas outside the frame will be shaded. Drag the frame to make other parts of the image visible. To move the frame, bring the cursor inside the frame, press the left mouse button and, keeping it pressed, move the frame in the Navigator.
Additionally, you can move the image in the Image Window with the scroll bars or by holding down the space bar, then holding down the left mouse button while moving the mouse. The mouse's scroll wheel can move the image up and down, and holding Ctrl (⌘ in Macintosh) - while using the scroll wheel will move the image left and right. Holding Alt (Option in Macintosh) will scale the image. Right-click on the scroll bar to activate the quick navigation menu.
Use the slider or the buttons and to scale the image in the Image Window. When you click on the button or move the slider to the right, the image scale increases. When you click on the button or move the slider to the left, the image scale decreases.
You can also change the image scale by entering a new coefficient into the scale field and pressing the button Enter (Return in Macintosh). Frequently used scale coefficients can be found in a drop-down menu.
You can use hot-keys to change the image scale + and Ctrl++ (⌘++ in Macintosh) to increase the image scale and - and Ctrl+- (⌘+- in Macintosh) to reduce the scale.
Under the Navigator is the Settings Panel where you can adjust the texture, its color, the overlay parameters, the light source on the image, as well as the tool's options.
The button Reset to Default Settings below the settings restores the default values of the parameters.
Under the Settings Panel you can see Hints for the parameters and buttons when you hover over them with the cursor. You can choose where the hints will be shown or hide them in the program's Preferences.